Do you ever wish there was an easy way to achieve a picture-perfect smile? Do you ever wonder how some individuals manage to transform their smiles into something gorgeous practically overnight? Fortunately, you too can easily attain a smile that will make you want to smile all the time. Porcelain veneers are available to Decatur, Huntsville, and Madison, Alabama patients. Veneers are custom-crafted, porcelain shells that are placed onto the surface of teeth to hide any cosmetic imperfections. Known for being incredibly strong and durable, porcelain veneers are also extremely natural-looking.
Within our peaceful and elegant practice, our qualified cosmetic dentists can give you a smile that is sure to light up any room. To learn more about porcelain veneers, we encourage you to continue reading, and then contact our Decatur, Huntsville, or Madison office today.
Porcelain Veneers Placement Procedure
The first step in the process involves a one-on-one consultation with one of our cosmetic dentists. We take the time upfront to understand your needs and goals, to ensure that you are completely satisfied with your results in the end. After a thorough discussion, we will evaluate your condition and map out your treatment plan, which includes establishing the type, color, size, and shape of the veneer to achieve the look you want. The procedure is carried out over the course of two appointments, which go as follows:
- The surface of the tooth is lightly buffed in preparation of the veneer.
- A mold is created of the patient's teeth and then sent to a lab for custom-fabrication of the porcelain veneer.
- After one to two weeks, the patient returns for placement of the veneer.
- The dentist places the veneer onto the surface of the tooth to make sure it fits and looks natural and beautiful. Any necessary adjustments are made at this time.
- Dental cement is applied to the veneer, and then it is adhered to the surface of the tooth.
- A special dental light is shone onto the tooth to harden the dental adhesive.
- The dentist polishes the veneer or makes any adjustments as needed.
- The patient can leave our practice with a new, flawless smile.
Our caring and helpful team will provide aftercare instructions to follow in order to maintain the veneers for as long as possible. Good oral hygiene, including brushing, flossing, and regular checkups, is imperative to maintaining a healthy, beautiful smile.
Candidates for Porcelain Veneers
The best way to learn whether you are a candidate for porcelain veneers is to meet with one of our talented cosmetic dentists. It is important to know that porcelain veneers are solely cosmetic, and are placed onto visible front teeth. Ideal candidates include individuals who:
- Have chipped, cracked, or broken teeth
- Have discolored or badly stained teeth
- Have crowded or widely spaced teeth
- Have slightly misaligned teeth
- Have a "gummy smile" - excessive gum tissue
- Have uneven or elongated teeth
- Have relatively healthy teeth and gums
- Want to improve appearance of smile
- Have sufficient tooth enamel
- Do not clench or grind the teeth
Benefits of Porcelain Veneers
The benefits of porcelain veneers include:
- Immediate results
- Customization for natural-looking results
- Achieve a beautiful smile
- Boost self-esteem and confidence
- No downtime or recovery time necessary
- Durable and strong
- Long-lasting - up to 10 years
- Correct multiple cosmetic imperfections
Risks or Side Effects of Porcelain Veneers
It is important to know the risks and side effects of any treatment you are considering. The good news is there are very few associated with porcelain veneers. While porcelain veneers are considered to be strong and durable, they may need to be replaced at some point in the future. Additionally, the procedure can be irreversible; therefore once placed, veneers must remain intact and be well taken care of.
Patients may experience some mild sensitivity immediately following the placement procedure, however symptoms are temporary and can be alleviated with over-the-counter pain medication.